Photos by Paul Frangipane
The Prison Ship Martyrs’ Monument stands stall at the peak of Fort Greene Park. The monument serves as a memorial for more than 11,500 American Revolution prisoners of war who died on British ships in nearby Wallabout Bay. The first official monument was built in 1844 until the new 148-foot obelisk was dedicated by William Howard Taft in 1908.
A sunbather lies at the base of the monument. With benches and shade from nearby trees, the area around the monument is inviting for park goers.
The Fort Greene Park visitors’ center built in 1905 is located to the side of the monument.
Built between 1885 and 1886, the Institutional Church of God in Christ on Adelphi Street still opens its doors for service. Originally the Centennial Baptist Church, it took its name from the celebration of the country’s hundredth birthday.
The Church of St. Michael and St. Edward in the Ingersoll Houses is in decay after it closed in 2010. It was built between 1891 and 1906.
The Walt Whitman Houses public housing development is located across from Fort Greene Park. Alongside the Raymond V. Ingersoll Houses, the complexes were built in 1944 by the New York City Housing Authority to accommodate the area’s wartime workforce.
P.S. 67 stands between the Walk Whitman Houses and the Ingersoll Houses. The school was originally called Colored School No. 1 in response to the area’s increasing African-American community.
Well-preserved brownstones line Washington Park, a street adjacent to Fort Greene Park.
The Brooklyn Masonic Temple on Clermont and Vanderbilt avenues dates back to 1906.
Federal-style homes at Adelphi Street and Lafayette Avenue.
Brooklyn Technical High School, founded in 1922, still offers classes to the area’s technologically-inclined students.
The Atlantic Terminal serves as a crossroads for many commuters, offering several train lines and access to the Long Island Rail Road.
Connected to the train terminal, the Atlantic Center opened in 1997 as a 70,000-square-foot shopping mall, one of the largest in Brooklyn.
In the middle of the terminal, old Williamsburgh Savings Bank Tower and Brooklyn Academy of Music, an Apple store opened in December 2017.
Independent vendors set up shop outside the store’s doors to offer their technology-related services to potential customers.
The old Williamsburgh Savings Bank Tower is now referred to by developers as One Hanson Place and is leasing retail space. The buildings once stood as the borough’s tallest building at 512 feet. It has since been surpassed by multiple Downtown Brooklyn skyscrapers.
Towering over the Brooklyn Academy of Music, the Ashland building has offered luxury housing since it opened in 2016.
Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM) was rebuilt at its current Lafayette Avenue location in 1908 after its first location was destroyed by a fire. The oldest performing arts center in the United States, BAM opened in 1859, founded by the Philharmonic Society of Brooklyn.
BAM’s Peter Jay Sharp Building houses the BAM Rose Cinemas.
Home to many artists, Fort Greene hosts several public artworks like this mural across from the BAM cinemas.
A Moshood apparel outlet on Fulton Street showcases the neighborhood’s deep ties to African-American culture with representations of famous figures in the black community, including the late Brooklyn District Attorney Ken Thompson.
A mural of the late rapper and Brooklyn icon, Notorious B.I.G. is presented large on one of the neighborhood’s popular eateries.
A new café slated to open soon. As with much of Brooklyn, Fort Greene has attracted waves of trendy businesses.