Photos by Paul Frangipane
The 2.6-mile-long Riegelmann Boardwalk in Coney Island takes visitors on a walk filled with carnival games, entrances to rides and a view of the ocean with a smell of deep-fried foods in the air. The boardwalk, opened in 1923, became a scenic landmark in 2018.
The original Nathan’s hot dog stand opened in 1916 and since, Coney Island has become synonymous with the famous frankfurters. The restaurant hosts an annual hot dog eating contest each Fourth of July.
Coney Island’s new rides blend with the old. The landmarked Parachute Jump, built for the World’s Fair in 1939 and moved from the New York City World’s Fair site to Coney Island, is framed by the Thunderbolt rollercoaster.
The famous and landmarked Cyclone rollercoaster built in 1927 is on the site of the world’s first rollercoaster, which was constructed in 1884. The bumpy wooden coaster is still frequented by daring visitors.
Deno’s Wonder Wheel, a staple in the Coney Island skyline, was designated a city landmark in 1989. Originally called the “Dip-the-Dip” when it opened in 1920, the wheel has given over 35 million rides since it was built.
With the bustle of the carnival rides behind them, beach-goers enjoy the sand and the ocean on a summer night.
Two women set up their space on the beach.
Coney Island’s Steeplechase Pier is a popular spot for tourists and locals alike.
The pier can almost always be seen decorated by fishers hanging over the railings next to their lines.
The New York Aquarium, located right off the boardwalk, is the oldest continually operating aquarium in the United States. After opening in 1896 in Castle Garden in Battery Park, Manhattan, it moved to the boardwalk in 1957.
Coney Island is filled with large housing developments such as the Luna Park Homes, which house around 6,000 people.
A weekday flea market operates outside St. Paul’s Church.
Coney Island Creek, filled in in about 1920, transformed Coney Island from an island to a peninsula.
Mostly vacant of brownstones, Coney Island residential streets are often lined with brick and wooden homes.
MCU Park has been the home of the Brooklyn Cyclones baseball team since it opened in 2001. Originally named Keyspan Park, it was renamed in 2010.
The corner of Stillwell and Surf avenues, one of the first views of Coney Island after stepping out from the subway station.